A calendar is something that can never get old school. Here are printable August 2020 Calendars in the series. The icing on the cake is that these printable calendars come at no cost that one does not even need to think twice before investing in them.
About Month of August
August is considered to be the 8th month of the year, according to the Julian and Gregorian calendars. It is the 5th month of the year which has 31 days in the month. The earlier days, August was known as ‘Sextilis’ in Latin. It was named such because it was considered as the 6th month amongst the total 10 months which were there in the Roman calendar in the 753 BC, where the first month of the calendar was March.
To know more about August, we have curated some interesting topics on the same. Happy reading.
One advantage these calendars have is that anybody using it can mark easily. Marking the dates physically allows us to keep a proper track of the things we are supposed to do, basically our to-do list. In a dynamic world, we are living in, it becomes very hard to keep track of the number of activities and things we are indulged in. This is exactly where these calendars come into play. They act as the idol planners needed for our busy lives.
August is everyone’s favorite. And why not? It is one of the liveliest months of the year. The national flower of the month is Gladiolus. The national stone of the month is Peridot gemstone, Sardonyx and red spinel on calcite. The western zodiac for August is Leo. People born between 22nd July to 22nd August as considered to have a zodiac sign of a Leo, which is known to be extremely friendly and kind-hearted people.
August which is the 8th month of the year, is one of the most happening months of the year. In the southern hemisphere, August is considered a season equivalent to that of February in the northern hemisphere. However, in many European countries, August as a month is also termed as a ‘Holiday month’. This is because the maximum number of holidays happen in this month. There are various religious holidays that occur during August in ancient Rome.
History of the month of August:
August is a fun month, also has a vast history attached to it. Here are some facts about the month of August:
- The month of August is named after the founder who was also the first-ever emperor of the Roman Empire: Augustus Caesar.
- August initially was known as ‘Sextillia’, which was known to be a Latin word for ‘Six’.
- August was initially the sixth month of the year, during the times when the year used to start with March. It was much later when the two months of January and February were added to the year was when it becomes the 8th month of the year and continues to be one.
Fun facts about August:
- The Elvis Presley mourn fans, on August 16th mourn. It is the day when the famous singer died in 1977.
- The Volcano Mount Vesuvius, on August 24th in the 79th A.D., had erupted and destroyed the Pompeii city.
- 21st August 1911 was the date when Mona Lisa was stolen from the gallery of Louvre and had not recovered for two complete years.
- Martin Luther, the civil rights activist, is very famously known for his speech, ‘I have a dream’ which he gave on 28th August 1983.
- Some of the famous known people born in August are Martha Stewart, Jeff Gordon, Martin Sheen, Halle Berry, Deion Sanders, etc.
- August is very commonly referred to us as the month of ‘Dog days of summer’. This is not due to pooches of pet, but this is because it has some connection with the Sirius star, which is commonly known as the dog star. This star rose at the same time during the sunrise which was in August during the Roman ancient times.
- The month of August does not begin on the very same day of the week as any other month in any year which is not a leap year and also ends on the very same day of the week as and when the month of November ends. However, during the leap year, August begins on the day as the month of February and continues to end on the very same day as November ends.
August is the month which is full of holidays due to summer vacations. In many of the cultures, this is known as ‘Month of Harvest’.
What is August called in different languages?
August is not called August in all the languages. The month has been given different names by different nations in different languages. Let us have a look at it:
- Romanian: August
- Portuguese: Agosto
- Swedish: Augusti
- Welsh: Awst
- Spanish: Agosto
- Polish: Sierpien
- Norwegian: August
- Maltese: awissu
- Latvian: augusts
- Italian: Agosto
AUGUST 2020 PRINTABLE TEMPLATES: 4 IMAGES
These images belong to thoughtsting.com, in case of commercial use or reproducing give us image credit.
August overall is considered to be a very happy and joyful month of the year. It is that month, where not just children wait (Due to their vacations) but everyone waits because of its festive vibes.
To make this month even more productive what can be better than the August 2020 calendar. These calendars make our lives way easier and better. With just a click of a button, one can always browse through the free calendars and print them. It becomes very convenient to mark the dates with a marker or a pen.